Connecting to Wi-Fi (Wifi, eduroam) on Android
Note: Android devices can vary, and may be different depending on the manufacturer of your device. This is a general guide only.
Connect to eduroam using Deakin Setup
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap Wi-Fi > Deakin Setup.
3. Open your preferred web browser and type www.deakin.edu.au in the address bar, tap enter.
(On some devices a web browser may automatically open and direct you to the eduroam setup page, therefore not requiring this step.)
4. You will be re-directed to the Deakin University eduroam setup page, click on the link Step 1: download and install the Android App.
If your device does not have an app to manage file downloads, you can find many free download manager apps
in the Google Play Store
5. Tap OK when prompted with the warning.
6. The SecureW2_JoinNow.apk file will download.
7. Once the download has completed, Tap on it to prompt Installation.
(You will need to ensure your device is enabled to install non-play store apps. To do this go to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources)
8. Once the Application has installed, Tap Done (Do Not Open).
9. Navigate back to your web browser, and tap JoinNow.
10. The configuration will load. Enter your Deakin Username and Password, tap Continue.
11. You are now successfully connected to eduroam.
If you change your password anytime after this initial setup, you will receive an authentication error. You will need to update it within the eduroam configuration.
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi > eduroam. This should prompt you to connect.
- Tap Connect to attempt a connection. The connection will fail, but you will be prompted to enter your new Deakin Password.
Manually setup a connection to eduroam (less secure)
Warning: If your device is unable to connect using the Deakin Setup method, you can setup eduroam using the manual steps below. However, this is less secure, as a user may not be able to determine if they are connecting to the real eduroam network, or a phony eduroam network that has been setup to steal your user ID and password.
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap Wi-Fi > eduroam.
3. Enter the following settings:
- EAP Method: PEAP
- Phase 2 Authentication: MSCHAPV2
- CA and User certificate: (unspecified)
- Identity: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anonymous identity: <leave this blank>
- Password: your Deakin password
4. Click Connect.