How do I get Microsoft Office for free through Deakin University? (Windows)
This offer allows Deakin Students and Staff to install the Office 2016 (Windows) suite onto five computers for free whilst enrolled/employed at Deakin. The installation and management (licensing) of the software is controlled through your Deakin Office 365 account.
- Using your preferred browser, sign into www.deakin.edu.au/office365.
You'll be prompted with Microsoft's Sign On screen. Enter your Deakin Email Address, then click Next.
At the Deakin Single Sign On panel, enter your Deakin username and password.
- Once you have been redirected to the Microsoft homepage, click on Install Office.
- Download the setup application.
- If you are prompted to Run or Save the setup. Select Run.
- If you are only prompted to Save the setup, save it to your Downloads folder. Then open your Downloads folder and run the setup app.
- Accept the User Account Control prompt.
- Microsoft Office 2016 installation will commence.
- Once installation is complete, click Close on the confirmation window.
- Start one of the Office applications, such as Word. To do so, click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office 2016, or use the icons in the Quick Launch bar.
- If prompted for your email address, enter your Deakin email address in the following format:
- Students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff: Office may be automatically activated. If not, enter your email address as: email@example.com
Entering your personal (non-Deakin) email address will not correctly activate the software.
- At the Deakin Single Sign On panel, enter your Deakin username and password.
- If prompted with the product license agreement, click 'Accept'.
- To confirm the software is activated, start any Office application, and look for your name and Deakin email address in the top right corner of the Document Gallery.
- Students: Your name must appear in all uppercase.
- Staff: Your name will appear in upper and lowercase based on how it is formatted in the staff directory.
- You can also confirm activation by logging into www.deakin.edu.au/office365, then clicking Settings (cog icon) > Office365 > Install Status.
- To install Office 365 on another computer, follow the above steps while logged onto the machine you would like to install Office on.
- You can view all your current installations and deactivate any of them from the Install status menu.